- The next application deadline for admission in the summer semester 2018 is 3 December 2017.
- Duration of the program: 6 semesters
Only a limited number of funded positions for doctoral students are available to the Class of Language. Therefore we recommend that all applicants inform themselves about other funding opportunities at an early stage.
We refer students particularly to scholarships offered by foundations and academic promoters. Information is available for example on the webpages: www.daad.de or Stipendienlotse.de.
Requirements for application
- University degree graded as above average (Magister Artium, diploma, state board examination, Master of Arts (“with thesis”), Maîtrise, Laurea, ect.) with a major in one of the following program subjects: General Linguistics and Language Typology, Theoretical Linguistics, Phonetics and Verbal Communication, Psycholinguistics and Science of Speech, English Philology / Linguistics, Romance Philology / Linguistics, Slavic Philology / Linguistics, German as a foreign language / Transnational German Studies, German Linguistics, Comparative and Indo-European Linguistics, Finno-Ugric / Uralic Studies, Albanian Studies
- The Magister, Masters, Diploma or Thesis required for Staatsexam must be graded “good” (certificate)
- working knowledge in European academic languages (ideally three, at least two, one of them must be German; knowledge of a non-European academic language is an asset)
- willingness to actively participate in a structured doctoral program
Applicants will be chosen on the basis of their application documents, final acceptance of pre-selected applicants takes place after an academic discussion with a section panel.
Criteria of selection are the quality of the dissertation project, academic qualification, co operative and communicative skills, as well as the willingness and the ability to work on interdisciplinary theoretical as well as methodological problems in accordance with the aims of the doctoral program.
- A motivation essay in which you explain the reasons you are applying (1-2 pages)
- An exposé of your dissertation intentions with a work outline (10-12 pages, less than 35,000 characters, includings spaces)
- Reports from two university teachers that provide information about your academic potential
- Curriculum Vitae, including a detailed description of academic career
- Copies of all leaving certificates, diplomas and degrees of schools of universities (Proof of final thesis grade and overall grade of your first academic degree
- One copy of university thesis (or a two to three page abstract if it is in an infrequently used language)
How to apply
The application has to be submitted by the following application portal:
In case of any difficulties with the online application, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens after we receive your application?
You will be notified by e-mail at the end of December 2017 about whether your application has been successful in the first round of the two-stage approval process. If it was, you will be invited to a selection interview, which will take place shortly afterwards. In the event that you need to apply for a visa to travel to the interview, we strongly recommend that you inquire early about the exact modalities of the visa application. Please also note that we cannot cover any costs associated with your journey. In justified exceptional cases, the interview may be conducted by telephone.
For further information on the doctoral program and the application process please contact the program coordinator Dr. Daniel Holl (email@example.com, +49 89 2180-3846).