The Class of Language is one of four classes of the Graduate School Language & Literature Munich (GS L&L). It was established in 2002 as Linguistisches Internationales Promotionsprogramm (LIPP) and offers a program for doctoral candidates of all linguistic disciplines at the LMU.
The systematically structured program addresses highly qualified graduates from Germany and abroad who wish to obtain a doctoral degree within three years in a research-oriented and interdisciplinary doctoral program. University teachers from 13 linguistic disciplines represent a broad and inter-related range of theoretical positions, methodological approaches and practical orientation.
The Class of Language provides:
- a research-oriented and systematically structured interdisciplinary syllabus
- an individual and intensive advisory support for doctoral candidates
- a variety of opportunities for exchanges among doctoral candidates, university teachers and international visiting scholars
- the opportunity to jointly organize international conferences with other doctoral candidates
- funding for international research stays and conference trips
- the possibility of pursuing a binational double doctorate through the procedure "cotutelle de thèse"
The dissertation projects are dedicated to cross-linguistic and language specific issues (synchronic and diachronic), to discourses and texts in their institutional contexts and to the social effects of language.