Applications for the summer semester 2023
The Class of Language is inviting applications for PhD-places starting with the forthcoming summer semester 2023. Applications can be submitted until December 11, 2022.
- Duration of the programme: 6 semesters
We recommend all applicants to inform themselves about alternative financing possibilities at an early stage and to refer in particular to scholarships from various foundations and science sponsors (see for example GraduateCenter LMU or StipendiumPlus).
Requirements for application
- University degree graded as above average (Master of Arts (“with thesis”), Magister Artium, diploma, state board examination, Maîtrise, Laurea, ect.) with a major in one of the following program subjects: General Linguistics and Language Typology, Theoretical Linguistics, Phonetics, Psycholinguistics, English Linguistics, Romance Linguistics, Slavic Linguistics, German as a foreign language, German Linguistics, Comparative and Indo-European Linguistics, Finno-Ugric / Uralic Studies, Albanian Studies, Cognitive and Cultural Linguistics, or comparable degrees
- The grade of final thesis must not fall below a 2,50. The same requirement applies to the overall grade (verification needed).
- Working knowledge in European academic languages (ideally three, at least two, one of them must be German; knowledge of a non-European academic language is an asset)
- Willingness to actively participate in a structured doctoral program
Applicants will be chosen on the basis of their application documents, final acceptance of pre-selected applicants takes place after an academic discussion with a section panel.
Criteria of selection are the quality of the dissertation project, academic qualification, co-operative and communicative skills, as well as the willingness and the ability to work on interdisciplinary theoretical as well as methodological problems in accordance with the aims of the doctoral program.
- A motivation essay in which you explain the reasons you are applying (1-2 pages)
- An exposé of your dissertation intentions with a work outline (10-12 pages, less than 35,000 characters, including spaces)
- Reports from two university teachers that provide information about your academic potential
- Curriculum Vitae, including a detailed description of academic career
- Copies of all leaving certificates, diplomas and degrees of schools of universities (Proof of final thesis grade and overall grade of your first academic degree)
- One copy of university thesis (or a two to three page abstract if it is in an infrequently used language)
How to apply?
The application consists of the following steps:
- Register on the online portal and then follow the instructions.
- Please complete the electronic form and upload all the required documents. Don’t forget to save all your modifications.
- After the end of the application period, the portal will be closed for editing and uploading.
For the Online Portal, please click here!
If you encounter difficulties with the online application, please feel free to contact the scientific coordinator Dr. Felix Bokelmann (email@example.com). If there are technical problems with uploading the application documents, you can also send them by e-mail. This also applies to the required reports.
What happens after we receive your application?
You will be notified by e-mail about whether your application has been successful in the first round of the two-stage approval process. You might then be invited to a selection interview, which will take place shortly afterwards. In the event that you need to apply for a visa to travel to the interview, we strongly recommend that you inquire early about the exact modalities of the visa application. Please also note that we cannot cover any costs associated with your journey. Please also be aware that the guidelines regarding the COVID-19 pandemic may vary, thus the interview may be conducted through Zoom.